Premise Liability Lawyer Kansas City
The legal concept of premises liability refers to a property owner’s responsibility to keep and maintain a safe, hazard-free environment for visitors. Both public and private properties can be found responsible for injuries that took place as a result of a preventable accident. If the hazardous condition was not correctly addressed, the victim could pursue a lawsuit against a property owner.
Suppose you or someone you love has suffered injuries on someone else’s property. In that case, you may be entitled to recover compensation for your injuries, including your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. All cases are governed by the premises liability laws in Kansas and Missouri.
Type of Premises Liability Cases in Kansas City
Premises liabilities include a variety of situations and claims, and these types of claims can occur on both residential and commercial properties. The most common types of premises liability cases in Kansas City are:
#1. Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall accidents usually occur due to uneven sidewalks, slippery surfaces, broken curbs or potholes, slippery ice and snow, changes in the flooring surface, or shallow stairs. Depending on each condition, slip and fall accidents can be prevented by maintaining a proper environment, warning signs, or barricading the area.
#2. Negligent Security
Businesses must take all measures to protect invitees from violent crimes or other dangers. Such accidents can occur in apartment complexes, gas stations, schools, or college campuses.
#3. Animal or Dog Bites
The laws governing dog bites differ from state to state, so if injured by a dog bite, make sure to consult with an experienced dog bite attorney in Kansas City. They will know your legal rights and what compensation you may recover for the physical and emotional scars.
#4. School or Daycare Injuries
Such accidents and injuries may arise in various circumstances, from the playground to the classroom or elsewhere on the property. Once a child is involved in an injury case, the situation gets more complex. That is why it is critical to contact a top-rated personal injury attorney to make sure your child is given the needed level of security.
#5. Nursing Home Injuries
Nursing home injuries can be caused by reckless behavior, negligent medical care, or even when a resident slips and falls.
How Can You Win a Premises Liability Case in Kansas City
If you have been injured in a public or private space, you must prove the following to recover compensation for injuries:
- Duty of Care. To be legally entitled to compensation for the injuries that arose on someone else’s property, you first must prove that the property owner owed you a duty of care. The property owner would owe a duty of care if the victim was legally on their property with their permission. Generally, trespassers are not owed a duty of care.
- Breaching the duty of care. After you prove that the property owner has a duty of care, you now must prove that the owner has breached that duty of care. If they failed to address a dangerous condition on their property, they might be found at fault for your injuries. According to Kansas Statutes section 60-258a, you must determine who is at fault for your injuries.
- The breach of the duty of care led to an accident.
- You experienced losses because of the injuries caused by the accident. Next, you will be entitled to recover your losses, from medical expenses to loss of property, lost wages, future earnings, or pain and suffering.
To successfully win a premises liability case, hiring an experienced attorney to handle your case is recommended. An attorney will know the importance of gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses, and how to present the strongest case possible.
When you turn to us with your case, our premises liability attorneys will take legal actions against the offenders who caused your injuries. If a lawsuit becomes necessary, we will document all the options to fight for your compensation.
You should not pay all of the expenses out of your pocket. Your pain and suffering will give you enough trouble without adding financial stress. With so many years of combined experience, our reputable Kansas lawyers will provide competent and trustworthy representation. By seeking legal assistance from one of our injury lawyers, we will help you determine if you have a claim and will guide you on the next steps. Contact us at (816) 813-8256 for a free consultation, and let us review your case!
Why Should You Hire a Kansas City Premises Liability Lawyer?
Have you recently been injured on someone else’s property? Don’t suffer in silence. Contact a Kansas City premises liability lawyer as soon as possible.
Premises liability cases may involve complex legal issues, and when filing a claim, you should expect the property owner to dispute liability. There are many ways that a premises liability lawyer can help you. They will protect your legal rights and will pursue your claim while you rest and heal.
When contacting a premises liability lawyer in Kansas City, you should know that they will:
- Document and investigate your case, gather and preserve evidence. The lawyer will do so to ensure that your legal claim is fit for maximum financial recovery. From obtaining photographs, videotapes, accident reports, or eyewitness statements, a lawyer will do whatever it takes to prove that you were not at fault for the injuries.
- Prepare a demand package. Your lawyer will prepare and submit a demand package for the insurance company of the property owner.
- Negotiate with the insurance claims adjuster. If contacted by the insurance adjuster of the at-fault party, do not offer any statements without consulting your lawyer. Your statements may be used against you. Your lawyer will negotiate with the insurance company, to try and get the best possible compensation for you. Additionally, your lawyer will take the case to court if necessary to recover the maximum amount of compensation you are due under Kansas law.
- File a personal injury lawsuit and prepare for trial. If you couldn’t reach a fair settlement, your premises liability lawyer will file your claim in court to pursue recovery in the judicial system.
Call Our Kansas City Premises Liability Lawyer
You don’t deserve to pay for your medical expenses or other damages because of someone else’s negligent or reckless behavior. We will do our best to ensure that you get the money you are rightfully owed if you choose to work with us. At RKB LAW, LLC, we have experienced legal professionals ready to evaluate your case, negotiate a fair settlement, and help you understand your legal options. Call our law firm today for a free consultation at (816) 813-8256.
FAQs on Premise Liability Cases in Kansas City
Is there a statute of limitations for premises liability cases?
Yes. In the state of Kansas, Kansas Statutes section 60-513 states that you must file your premises liability claim within two years from the date of the injury. This statute of limitation covers a wide range of personal injury situations.
What are the most common premises liability claims?
The most common premises liability claims are slip and fall accidents that can occur when a landlord or manager fails to properly maintain a safe environment, including sidewalks, staircases, or parking lots. The most common causes of slip and fall accidents are slippery floors, ice or snow, improper drainage, poor lighting, or uneven surfaces.
Can I sue for a slip and fall accident?
If there is enough proof of the hazards on the defendant’s property and you suffered severe injuries, you can sue for a slip and fall accident. With the right law firm on your side, you significantly improve your odds of winning the case.
Is premises liability a type of negligence?
Yes, premises liability is a form of negligence because the property owner has failed to follow the correct protocol to ensure that their property is safe for invitees. In such manners, the legal concept of premises liability can be used once injuries occur due to unsafe or defective conditions on someone’s property.